15 May: International Conscientious Objectors Day
International Conscientious Objectors' Day 2006 will focus on the situation of US COs and GIs that want to leave the US military. Presently, international events are being planned for New York and Washington DC for around 15 May 2006. More information is available from the WRI office.
Globalising Nonviolence, 23-27 July 2006, Germany
- Are you interested in both nonviolence and globalisation?
- Are you campaigning against war?
- Are you involved in nonviolent direct action or curious to learn more?
The War Resisters' International conference Globalising Nonviolence will be a great opportunity to meet activists from all over the world, to get to know what makes them tick, and to see how you can help each make another world possible. Around the world, a movement of movements is converging. This movement seeks to counterpose the perspective and values of people's power to those of global financial institutions, transnational corporations or governments. This is a movement of globalisation from below.
WRI believes that this movement of movements has a major role to play in this globalisation from below. Hence the theme of our upcoming international conference - Globalising Nonviolence.
Conference discussions will:
- Analyse the contemporary situation of economic, cultural and political globalisation. How are capitalist globalisation and militarism related?
- Develop strategies for nonviolent resistance towards the unjust aspects of globalisation. How do we create nonviolent social change?
- Bring together people from the globalisation critical movement and WRI's network of pacifists and anti-militarists for mutual exchange of ideas on nonviolent opportunities for resistance.
- Strengthen networks and create new links between activists from all over the world.
More information at www.globalisingnonviolence.org