War Resisters' International learned today that the Israelian CO Jonathan Moss, 25, a pacifist, was called up to do reserves service in the Occupied Territories on 6 August. He presented himself at the site, but refused to be officially mobilised. It was only three days later, on 9 August 2001, that he was sentenced by a senior officer in his unit to 30 days of imprisonment, which is longer than usual in such cases.This is the first time Jonathan Moss is imprisoned. He is now held in Military Prison No. 4, and is due to be released on 5 or 6 September 2001. However, it is likely that he will be imprisoned again in the future.
War Resisters' International calls for letters of support (preferably postcards) to Jonathan Moss to the following address:
Jonathan Moss (Personal Number 5161609) Military Prison No. 4, Military Postal Code 02507 IDF ISRAEL
War Resisters' International also calls on everybody to send appeals on Jonathan Moss' behalf to the addresses at the end of this message, especially to the commander of Military Prison No. 4 and to the Ministry of Defence.
Here is a sample appeal:
Dear Sir / Madam,
It has been brought to my attention that Jonathan Moss (military personalnumber 5161609), a pacifist conscientious objector to military service, isheld currently in Military Prison No. 4 in Tzrifin.
The detention of conscientious objectors to military service is a violationof international law and of basic human rights. I would like to protest thisact strongly. I would also like to call for the immediate and unconditionalrelease of Jonathan Moss from prison, without threat of furtherimprisonment.
LIST OF ADDRESSES FOR SENDING APPEALS:
Commander of Military Prison No. 4,Military Prison No. 4,Military postal number 02507, IDF Israel. Fax: +972-3-957-52-76
Military Attorney General,Military postal number 9605, IDF, Israel. Fax: +972-3-569-43-70
Lt. Gen. Shaul Mofaz,IDF Chief of Staff,Ha-Qirya,Tel-Aviv, Israel. Fax: +972-3-569-55-94
Mr. Binyamin Ben-Eliezer,Minister of Defence,Ministry of Defence,37 Kaplan st.,Tel-Aviv 61909, Israel.e-mail: email@example.com Fax: +972-3-696-27-57 / +972-3-691-69-40 / +972-3-691-79-15
Mr. Ariel Sharon,Prime MinisterPrime Ministers' Office,Qiriat David Ben-GurionJerusalem, Israel.e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: +972-2-566-48-38 / +972-2-651-26-31
Also, please send copies of your appeals to media and, for those of youwholive outside Israel, to your local Israeli embassies and consulates.
Addresses of Israeli media:
- Ma'ariv: 2 Karlibach st. Tel-Aviv 67132 Israel Fax: +972-3-561-06-14 e-mail: email@example.com
- Yedioth Aharonoth: 2 Moses st. Tel-Aviv Israel Fax: +972-3-608-25-46
- Ha'aretz (Hebrew): 21 Schocken st. Tel-Aviv, 61001 Israel Fax: +972-3-681-00-12
- Ha'aretz (English edition): 21 Schocken st. Tel-Aviv, 61001 Israel Fax: +972-3-512-11-56 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jerusalem Post: POB 81 Jerusalem 91000 Israel Fax: +972-2-538-95-27 e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jerusalem Report: Fax: +972-2-537-94-89
- Radio (fax numbers): Kol-Israel +972-2-531-33-15 and +972-3-694-47-09 Galei Tzahal +972-3-512-67-20
- Television (fax numbers): Channel 1 +972-2-530-15-36 Channel 2 +972-2-533-98-09