ISRAEL: Two conscientious objectors on second prison term

en

Two Israeli conscientious objectors began their second prison term
on 5 November.

Omri Evron (ISR14905) was first sentenced to 14 days in military prison
on 15 October 2006 (see co-alert, 17/10/06). On
5 November, he again refused to enlist and to wear a uniform and
received, as during his previous imprisonment, additional punishment
for this: he was put in solitary confinement. He commented: I
refused to wear a uniform because I am not prepared to consider myself
a soldier.

Omri Evron explains that he opposes the ongoing military occupation of
the Palestinian people, an occupation that further entrenches and
aggravates the hatred and terror between the two peoples.

Since, during his previous term, he was left in his underwear for some
time and deprived of his right to have books throughout, lawyers and
activists are monitoring his situation closely. As for Omri's right to
have books in solitary confinement - the prison authorities conceded he
could have "holy books" and initially provided him with a Jewish
prayer book. As a result of pressure from family, friends and lawyers,
he eventually received "holy books" from various religions, like
the Bible, Qur'an, and New Testament. Lawyers are communicating with
the army to ensure Omri's right to books will be upheld.

Yakir Peretz (ISR14909), a pacifist, is presently serving his second
prison term of 14 days in military prison no 4. Yakir Peretz has said
that he refuses to be part of an occupation army. I have the right
not to be in the army and they are, at the moment, depriving me of that
basic human right. Even if we were talking of an army of angels, I
would not be obliged to support any armed struggle.

War Resisters' International calls for
messages of support to Omri
Evron and Yakir Peretz.

Please write your messages of support to:

Omri Evron (Military ID 6153157)

Yakir Peretz (Military ID 5346056)

Prison 4

Military Post 02507

IDF, Israel

War Resisters' International calls for letters
of protest to the
Israeli authorities, and Israeli embassies abroad. An email letter can
be sent at http://www.wri-irg.org/co/alerts/20061109a.html.

War Resisters' International calls for the
immediate release of
conscientious objector Omri Evron, Yakir Peretz, and
all other imprisoned conscientious objectors.

Andreas Speck

War Resisters' International

Addresses

Mr Amir Peretz

Minister of Defence,

Ministry of Defence,

37 Kaplan st.,

Tel-Aviv 61909,

Israel

e-mail: sar@mod.gov.il or pniot@mod.gov

Fax: +972-3-696-27-57 / +972-3-691-69-40 / +972-3-691-79-15

Commander of Military Prison No 4

Military Prison No 4

Military Postal Code 02507

IDF, Israel

Fax: +972-3-957-52-76

Commander of Military Prison No 6

Military Prison No 6

Military postal number 01860,

IDF, Israel.

Fax: +972-4-869-28-84

Commander of Military Prison No 400

Military Prison No 400

Military postal number 02447

IDF, Israel

Fax: +972-3-9579389

Addresses of Israeli embassies can be found at http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/israel1.htm

Addresses of Israeli media:

Ma'ariv:

2 Karlibach st.

Tel-Aviv 67132

Israel

Fax: +972-3-561-06-14

e-mail: editor@maariv.co.il

Yedioth Aharonoth:

2 Moses st.

Tel-Aviv

Israel

Fax: +972-3-608-25-46

Ha'aretz (Hebrew):

21 Schocken st.

Tel-Aviv, 61001

Israel

Fax: +972-3-681-00-12

Ha'aretz (English edition):

21 Schocken st.

Tel-Aviv, 61001

Israel

Fax: +972-3-512-11-56

e-mail: letters@haaretz.co.il

Jerusalem Post:

P.O. Box 81

Jerusalem 91000

Israel

Fax: +972-2-538-95-27

e-mail: news@jpost.co.il or letters@jpost.co.il

Jerusalem Report:

Fax: +972-2-537-94-89

Radio (fax numbers):

Kol-Israel +972-2-531-33-15 and +972-3-694-47-09

Galei Tzahal +972-3-512-67-20

Television (fax numbers):

Channel 1 +972-2-530-15-36

Channel 2 +972-2-533-98-09