Support Korean COs for International Conscientious Objection Day!
On 15th day activists around the world marked International Conscientious Objection Day. We stood in solidarity with conscientious objectors in the Republic of Korea (South Korea), over 250 of whom are in prison - right now - for refusing military service.
You can still get involved!
- Show your solidarity with Korean conscientious objectors using the hashtag #freeKoreanCOs;
- WRI's affiliate in South Korea, World Without War, have made a statement for CO day. Find it here. At this time of change on the Korean peninsula, World Without War insist that the right to refuse to kill must be recognised. Read the statement here, and share it on social media using #freeKoreanCOs!
- Send a postcard to the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in your country to protest their imprisonment. Details here;
- Send our template email to send a message to the government of South Korea;
- See if an event is happening near you. Info on events in South Korea, German, the UK and USA are listed here.
As World Without War's statement says 'In order for Korea to make the most of the precious opportunities of peace that have come in seventy years and to become a country of permanent peace, the right to conscientious objection must be recognized.'
We send all our support to World Without War. We look forward to a peaceful future on the Korean peninsula, where no one is imprisoned for their refusal to join the military.