International Day of ActionAs part of WRI's Countering the Militarisation of Youth work we are coordinating an international day of action For Military-Free Education and Research, which will take place on 14 June 2013.
The day will be based on the September 2012 week of action in Germany, which was supported by over one hundred groups and organisations, with actions in at least eight cities. Many of the actions during the September 2012 week involved handing out leaflets at schools and other education centres highlighting the downsides of joining the military, and the leaflets were accompanied in some cases with fake blood, a coffin, and chocolate 'medicine' to protect students against military propaganda. Read a full summary of the week at http://wri-irg.org/node/20714.
The day of action on 14 June 2013 is an opportunity for groups to familiarise themselves with the campaign, and test out action ideas, ahead of the week of action that we are planning for 2014.
The peace activists also displayed a banner with the words 'Make German Armed Forces events a disaster!'
The international day of action will involve events in different countries which are all on the same theme (Military-Free Education and Research), but individual groups have autonomy in organising their actions.
It's not to late for your group or organisation to take part! Just email email@example.com for more information and ideas.
- In Germany, activists from a network of 70 organisations will be holding events in four cities, in addition to the many that they will do on 13 and 15 June - from leafletting and public meetings to vigils and rallies
- In Israel, New Profile will be performing some street theatre!
- In India, in Patna (Bihar province) there will be a seminar on 'Anti-War Education: A Gandhian Concept'
- In Nigeria, members of The World Youth Peace Organisation will be holding placards lamenting military recruitment in education institutions, and visiting schools to talk about the education grants used by militaries in various countries to entice young people to join the military
- In the UK, ForcesWatch will be publishing the summary of their upcoming report on the presence and influence of the military in UK universities
- In Catalonia, campanya Desmilitaritzem l’Educació will be disseminating information and resources on Twitter and Facebook
- In Chile, Ni Casco Ni Uniforme will will also be doing lots of online campaigning
- In DRC, APDI hope to organise a day of reflection in which groups and organisation from civil society, government, the military and armed groups will discuss disarmament, with an education focus
- In South Africa, Ceasefire are holding a Youth Day commemorates the youth uprising in June 1976 that coincides with the International Day of Action . This will kick off with a screening of the Last king of Scotland. More information here: http://ceasefire.org.za/site/invitation-the-international-day-of-action-...