ISRAEL: Occupation refuser Aviv Sela sentenced to 21 days imprisonment

en

Israeli conscientious objector Aviv Sela (ISR14786) was sentenced to a
first prison term of 21 days on 5 April 2006, after he refused to be
enlisted for military service in the IDF. Dozens of friends, family
members and supporters demonstrated at the gates of the induction
center in support of Aviv Sela.

Aviv Sela wrote in his letter to the Minister of Defence:

I, Aviv Sela, hereby present you with my request to be exempted
from military service on grounds of conscience, according to section 36
of the 1986 law of military service (combined version). I would like to
ask you to refer this request to the authorized exemption committee.

…Though I did not grow up in an activist or political family, my family
believed in  humane values and in human equality and respect. My
parents are not active in  peace or human rights organizations: their
one political activity is going to the ballot box.

…The more I saw of the occupied territories, the more clearly could I
see the complexity of Palestinian society. When you are inside Israeli
society you get the impression that Palestinian society is an extremist
terrorist society. Once you are able to put aside these
simplifications, you discover a complex society, with various factions
and different ideas, and a variety of modes of struggle. This is how I
got to know about non-violent protest, Palestinian protest, conducted
either indirectly or directly, which has gained widespread publicity in
Israel and internationally.

…These visits I made to the occupied territories gave me a better
insight into what was happening on the other side of the Green Line and
they are a major part of how I have come to understand the Israeli
government's policy in the territories as illegitimate and something I
cannot be part of”.

War Resisters' International calls for letters of support to Aviv Sela:

  Aviv Sela

  military ID 6883615

  POB 02507 Zahal

  IDF

  Israel

War Resisters' International calls for letters of protest to the
Israeli authorities, and Israeli embassies abroad. An email letter can
be sent at /co/alerts/20060410a.html.

War Resisters' International calls for the immediate release of
conscientious objector Uri Natan, and all other imprisoned
conscientious objectors.

Andreas Speck

War Resisters' International

Addresses

Shaul Mofaz

Minister of Defence,

Ministry of Defence,

37 Kaplan st.,

Tel-Aviv 61909,

Israel

e-mail: sar@mod.gov.il or pniot@mod.gov

Fax: +972-3-696-27-57 / +972-3-691-69-40 / +972-3-691-79-15

Commander of Military Prison No 4

Military Prison No 4

Military Postal Code 02507

IDF, Israel

Fax: +972-3-957-52-76

Commander of Military Prison No 6

Military Prison No 6

Military postal number 01860,

IDF, Israel.

Fax: +972-4-869-28-84

Addresses of Israeli embassies can be found at http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/israel1.htm

Addresses of Israeli media:

Ma'ariv:

2 Karlibach st.

Tel-Aviv 67132

Israel

Fax: +972-3-561-06-14

e-mail: editor@maariv.co.il

Yedioth Aharonoth:

2 Moses st.

Tel-Aviv

Israel

Fax: +972-3-608-25-46

Ha'aretz (Hebrew):

21 Schocken st.

Tel-Aviv, 61001

Israel

Fax: +972-3-681-00-12

Ha'aretz (English edition):

21 Schocken st.

Tel-Aviv, 61001

Israel

Fax: +972-3-512-11-56

e-mail: letters@haaretz.co.il

Jerusalem Post:

P.O. Box 81

Jerusalem 91000

Israel

Fax: +972-2-538-95-27

e-mail: news@jpost.co.il or letters@jpost.co.il

Jerusalem Report:

Fax: +972-2-537-94-89

Radio (fax numbers):

Kol-Israel +972-2-531-33-15 and +972-3-694-47-09

Galei Tzahal +972-3-512-67-20

Television (fax numbers):

Channel 1 +972-2-530-15-36

Channel 2 +972-2-533-98-09