Exploring the Handbook for Nonviolent Campaigns: meeting at Universidad Surcolombiana, Neiva, ColombiaWar Resisters' International (WRI) works for a world without war. We are a global pacifist and antimilitarist network with over 80 affiliated groups in 40 countries. We remain committed to our 1921 founding declaration that 'War is a crime against humanity. I am therefore determined not to support any kind of war, and to strive for the removal of all causes of war'. All wars, including wars of 'liberation' and 'humanitarian military intervention' are used to serve some power political or economic interest. All war leads to suffering, destruction, and new structures of domination.
What we do
WRI is primarily a network of organisations, groups and individuals. We facilitate mutual support, by
- Linking people together through publications, events and actions
- Initiating nonviolent campaigns that actively involve local groups and individuals
- Supporting those who oppose war and who challenge its causes
- Promoting and educating people about pacifism and nonviolence
Our two programmes focus on supporting the network and campaigning on particular themes:
Kim Rivera: I am a War Resister
- Supports conscientious objectors (COs), especially those facing repression. This includes attending trials, visiting COs in prison, lobbying governments to hear their demands, and mobilising advocacy support.
- Monitors and documents military service and recruitment around the world, especially human rights abuses. We present analysis to international bodies, such as United Nations committees, to support refusers against their own governments.
- Counters the militarisation of youth by identifying and challenging ways that young people are encouraged to accept war and militarism as normal.
WRI embraces and promotes nonviolence, from active resistance to militarism 20th anniversary of insumisión: action in Bilbao from KEM-MOC (Basque country), 2009and noncooperation with systems of oppression to the use of dialogue and the building of alternatives. Our Nonviolence Programme connects movements using nonviolent methods for social change (e.g. through organising workshops and exchanges on nonviolence training).
- Pooling resources, for instance through our 'Handbook for Nonviolent Campaigns'.
- Runs a War Profiteers project, on activities exposing the economics of warmaking.
Do you share our vision of a world without war?
- Get in touch with our affiliates – see tinyurl.com/wriaffiliates
- Can you help with translation? Contact us!
- Sign up for updates at www.tinyurl.com/WRIemails. Including: CO-Alerts - actions when COs are persecuted; CO-Updates - a bimonthly look at developments for COs around the world; War Profiteers News exposing private companies who profit from war; and our magazine The Broken Rifle.War Resisters' International relies on your support. If our work is important to you, you can donate to us by sending a cheque to WRI (contact details here) made out in £s Sterling, or by donating online at http://www.wri-irg.org/donate-en.htm
War Resisters' International, 5 Caledonian Road, London N1 9DX, BRITAIN
Tel: +44-20-7278 4040 / Fax: +44-20-7278 0444 , Email: email@example.com / http://wri-irg.org
Connect with us on Twitter / Facebook / Diaspora / Causes
Visit this page to sign up to our mailing lists.
War Resisters' International on Wikipedia
War Resisters' International archives at the Institute for Social History, Amsterdam